Tuesday 31 May 2022

#WEP June Challenge is on with more great music! #PleaseReadtheLetter for #June 2022 - Sign up here June 15-17





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the June Challenge at WEP! This is Nila with you. We've had some super amazing entries for our previous two challenges and I'm so excited to see which direction you all take with this musical prompt. 

Just to recap, WEP and these Challenges are for all those with a passion for writing, regardless of the point they've reached in their writing journeys.

·       Are you still learning your craft? Get clear and constructive feedback from an encouraging community of writers.

·       Want to try out a new WIP on us? Publish an extract here.

·       Did you want to continue a series? Do it here.

·       Adore writing to prompts in a supportive environment? This is just the space for you!

·       Want to win a prize? Jump right in...there are three. 




A word about critiques - they are a vital part of our Challenges, but they can also prove to be contentious. 

Readers, please remember to offer critiques only if asked for. The idea is to be helpful, not hurtful, to give your inputs for making the writing shine even better. Be courteous at all times. 

And writers, please be specific about the level of critique you want, if you do not want your writing to be critiqued then NCCO is  your friend. 

More details on the Critique Page, please read if you're new here. And good to refresh even if you're not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another word - about comment moderation.

WEP is being absolutely slammed by spammers. We hate comment moderation as much as the next blogger, but we can't allow spam to choke us. We'd hoped to remove it for the June challenge, but that seems unlikely,
So please leave a comment and we will remove it from spam asap. Bearing in mind we're all super busy, please don't panic if it's not done right away!
Thanks for your patience!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This month's prompt is based on Please Read the Letter by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - a break up song and a moving plea for understanding at the termination of a relationship. Click on the link, give it a listen and go where the music/lyrics take you. Many different interpretations are possible, some of which are outlined on our Challenges page. But they are indicative only. You need not follow any of that. We always love a different take.


Please remember to add a tagline. Short and sweet, a tagline sums up the story. And it's great practice for submissions!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June Prize -

is a critique/beta read of 10,000 words or 1st chapter, whichever is shorter from moi, Nilanjana Bose. Most here know me but for those who don't, I am a bilingual poet, fiction and travel writer.  My short stories have been anthologised and my poetry published in online and print in US, UK, Bahrain and India. I blog at Madly-in-Verse. 

 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The August Challenge 



This challenge is based on Moonlight Sonata by Ludwig van Beethoven a nod to Western classical music from the 19th century. A timeless masterpiece that he composed in 1801, dedicated to Countess Giulietta Guicciardi, who was briefly his student he fell in love with. but could not marry due to the strict social conventions of the time.  It acquired its evocative nickname five years after Beethoven's death in 1832, after the poet/music critic Ludwig Relistab said it brought to mind the moon setting over Lake Lucerne.

 

There are a million potential ways to interpret this challenge - use the title to define your setting, a water body, a full moon, a floating craft, a romantic evening...Use it to devise your character - a werewolf, a vampire, a modern-day witch/wizard...Use the backstory to create your flash about circumstances scuppering a relationship...or a nickname coming to define something/someone...Beethoven's life itself can inspire a thousand stories - listen to his music composed 200+ years ago and go where the muse takes you. 


Have fun writing!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


We'd love if you'd Tweet Tweet Tweet

some / all of these:

WEP writing prompt June's Please Read the Letter @DeniseCCovey @YolandaRenee @LGKeltner @jemifraser https://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com/2022/05/wep-june-challenge-is-on-with-more.html Sign up June 15 - 17! #amwriting #flashfiction #WEPFF #poetry #nonfiction #amwriting #flashfiction #WEPFF #poetry 

Get your thinking caps on for June's Please Read the Letter @DeniseCCovey @YolandaRenee @LGKeltner @jemifraser https://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com/2022/05/wep-june-challenge-is-on-with-more.html Sign up June 15 - 17! #WEPFF #amwriting #flashfiction #poetry #nonfiction

Join WEP @DeniseCCovey @YolandaRenee @LGKeltner @jemifraser, for the next Challenge of 2022, June's Please Read the Letter. Sign up and post June 15 - 17!https://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com/2022/05/wep-june-challenge-is-on-with-more.html #WEPFF #amwriting #flashfiction #poetry #nonfiction

Write with @DeniseCCovey @YolandaRenee, @LGKeltner @jemifraser, for the June challenge Please Read the Letter! Sign up and post on June 15 - 17! https://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com/2022/05/wep-june-challenge-is-on-with-more.html #WEPFF #amwriting #flashfiction #poetry #nonfiction


 


To Post Our Link Please Use the Code Below:

<!-- start InLinkz script -->

 <script type="text/javascript" src="https://www.inlinkz.com/cs.php?id=828735"></script>

 <!-- end InLinkz script -->




Looking forward to where we all get to with this prompt!




43 comments:

  1. Have fun. Yet again I will be reading (greedily) but almost certainly not writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, you inspire us all. Thanks for participating even if not writing, although we do miss your fabulous stories. Take care in that Canberra winter, brrrrrrr.

      Delete
    2. Always appreciate your support and your reading!

      Delete
  2. I'm moving house on June 2nd, so may not have an internet connection to sign up. But I will schedule my post at Writing Wings: https://rolandclarke.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best for moving house, Roland. Not on my list of favorite things, but sometimes, needs must. It's wonderful that you're still posting, but we don't expect you to comment widely. Take care.

      Delete
    2. Wish you a smooth transplant! Look forward to your post. Thank you for your consistent participation and amazing atmospheric writing. Take care.

      Delete
  3. This was another new-to-me song! Looking forward to what everyone creates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me ditto! It will be fascinating to see the ideas and their execution.

      Delete
  4. This prompt is so exciting. I'm looking forward to reading all entries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Such a wide open prompt and slots in so easily with the events all round us now or those in the past. Really flexible!

      Delete
  5. just shared your twitter message.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna try to do this one since I've missed the others earlier this year, but given some of the health problems I have dealt with in the past few months anything I enter will be concise. As well as being written in extreme haste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! Look forward to reading your post. I'm sorry to hear about your health issues and hope you're feeling fully yourself now. Take care.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to hear about your health problems, Christopher. We've missed you here at WEP and will be happy to see whatever you manage to write.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Nilanjana and Denise. I'm getting better but, its a progressive journey as the doctors try figure what the root of my problem, and how to fix it in the long run.

      Delete
    4. So sorry for what you are going through, Christopher. Best wishes always for your recovery and good health. Please know that you can return here whenever you want, with or without a challenge/post.

      Delete
  7. I've read all who've submitted so far. So great. Hope to read more soon! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to assure everyone that my entry isn't erotica. 🧼 There's soap, in case your mind feels dirty while reading, until you get to the end at least.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've submitted my entry.
    I'll get around to reading the other entries over this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I tried to leave a comment on your story but it was either devoured by an aggressive spam filter or demolished by the Vogons in favor of building an interstellar superhighway. Here is what I said:
      I really enjoyed the narrator's hyperbolic reactions and I sympathize with his plight. Back when I was still working for other people, I always hated being left hanging without a response. Now when I submit stories for possible inclusion in periodicals or anthologies, I also hate getting no response. I'd prefer rejection to being left in limbo.

      Delete
    2. Hi Michelle. I, too, couldn't leave a comment, but I will try again tomorrow. Loved it.

      Delete
    3. So now I can't even access your site, Michelle. Grr. What's going on? I had commented along the lines that I did feel a bit of sympathy for the nutter. He was either being deliberately annoying, or had no social skills, or couldn't believe he wasn't good enough to be chosen. You handled it very well with the way you increased his arguments each letter. Brilliant take on the prompt.

      Delete
    4. I'm so sorry that some visitors are having problems trying to access my site.
      I found Ornery Owl's comment in the spam box.
      Denise, so sorry you've had problems accessing my site.
      I don't know what's going on?!! 😟

      Delete
  10. Late, but not last, I'm sure. All I needed was a bit of inspiration and just reading a few of these wonderful entries got me there. Love these prompts and hate to miss an opportunity! Great entries, all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It may be just me and a screw loose in the operator but I cannot find anything to do with WEP at the link for Richard Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not just you. An entry has been submitted, but not in the correct format. The team's trying to resolve this situation. Please bear with us.

      Delete
  12. Fantastic posts, as usual. 👌 I've read them all now, but the link at #22 has absolutely nothing to do with WEP! 🤨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree about the entries - fab takes on the prompt. There's a bit of an issue with #22, which we are trying to resolve. Thanks for your patience.

      Delete
  13. My first comment disappeared! To repeat: I've read all of these fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a couple of spammers hitting the posts recently, so we've put on moderation for comments for the (hopefully) short term!
      I agree - so many great stories!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! It published my second comment before it was finished. Anyway, thanks to you and your co-hosts for running such an excellent writing contest!

      Delete
    3. Debbie, my comment on your blog didn't take. Here is what I said:
      Thank you for sharing your memories. I miss my father, who died in November of 2010, but our relationship was not a peaceful one. He was very obsessive and perfectionistic and I was a bit of a mess psychologically speaking. My mother has become a bit easier to deal with in the past few years, but she can still be a bit of a judgmental ass. She just turned 83. I live 125 miles away from her and try to visit a couple of times a month. She's still independent enough to live alone, but I worry.

      Delete
    4. The comment started out in the spam folder, but I rescued it and responded there, as well as on Twitter. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, Ornery Owl!

      Delete
  14. My comment on Sonia Droga's poem didn't take. Here's what I said:
    The imagery in this piece is very evocative. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems like we have a lot of commenting issues this month. It is annoying, but can't be helped. If it's not someone who's using comment moderation, it's a blogger issue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. #22, Richard Lord, has been deleted as we couldn't get a link for his story which he emailed. A pity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not sure what this is but it won't let me comment on Damyanti's post. Having trouble with a few of them. Akismet has something to do with it. Sometimes it will allow me to comment and other times no matter what I enter, it's a no.

    Congratulations, Damyanti, on your new release. Your excerpt fit the prompt beautifully. I hope your characters find peace from the dark secrets that haunt them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of us have had so many commenting issues. I can no longer access Michelle's site, grr.

      Delete
  18. Roland Clark has been added late. Please read his letters if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I have read/commented on every submission. My huge and heartfelt thanks to you all - though you often made my heart ache as I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your solid support and encouragement as always! Much valued and deeply appreciated.

      Delete

Have temporarily enabled comments without moderation. If the spammers hit us, it'll be reinstated.