Tuesday 22 November 2016

#WEPFF GUEST POST - WRITING ADVICE FROM PATRICK HATT

Patrick Hatt, the winner of the WEP Halloween/Constellations Challenge volunteered, after we twisted his arm to write a guest post on Writing Advice. The Rhyme King doesn't disappoint!
Take it away Pat!

After winning, the first thing they asked me to do was work. How’s that for a prize? But is it really work? That question you’ll get a lot when it comes to writing and anyone with half a brain knows that it is. Also those in the know realize you could probably make more money robbing the nearest poor box, but you’d go to jail for that, so best to avoid it and keep writing.

Wait a moment. Aren’t I here to give advice? Wasn’t there some in there? Hmmm, I guess I will have to try harder. Maybe I’ll go with the tried and true, which I have used as well, just write. There is your advice for the day. If you want to write, just write. That is some helpful, isn’t it? I could stop right here and my work would be done. But now I’m on a roll so I’ll just write some more and show you how easy it is.

I know you are thirsty for more advice. So let’s turn our attention to marketing……… One year later I have finally come back to this post. These are the first words I’ve written in a year. Wow, isn’t marketing fun? When you learn the secret to it, could you drop me a line? I know that makes work for you but I spent a year doing it to try and give advice before returning to this post. That makes up for it, right?

Wow, and I still made the post date on time. Some time travel stuff going on right there. I’ll give you the lottery numbers for a cut of the profit. This just writing thing is sure going down many a path. Is the road to writing paved with good intentions? Or would that be good imagination? The voices in my head are still arguing about that one, so we’ll move on.

On to what? On to editing. Like how well I edited this. Don’t you see how many times I used “so” and the like. That is some stellar editing right there. Hey, at least I barely use seemed and just anymore. But it seems you just made me use them there. Twice! I’m on a roll. I used them five more times since then but I edited them out, so you’d never know. I caught myself and then spilled the beans to you. I hope such beans don’t make you toot.

What was next? Oh yes, time. Time is a fickle thing, even with time travel. You have to make time, find time, create time, have free time, lunch time, supper time, bathroom time, breakfast time, bed time…Where was I? Oh yes. You need the time to just write. How can you get that? Plan ahead like the cat. Just write like him. Just do it like Nike says. Write at work like her. Don’t sleep like them. Play hooky like they. The dreaded they must really be in the know. After all, they get blamed for everything.

I bet by now you think I’m a nut, if you didn’t realize that before this. Do you hear me disagreeing with you? Nope. Do you hear me telling you what to do? Nope. Because I’m typing this so you can’t hear me and I can’t hear you. Just saying. Why is that? If I must, I shall quote the cat.

Pfffffffffffft is the only real advice I will give. Why? Because like everything else out there, people are different. Have different likes, dislikes, lives, etc. So why does anyone think one writing style or way to do it fits all? You do what is best for you. Take all the tips and advice and the like and mold them to your writing style and life. Don’t worry that a rhyming cat posts every day or a person has 50 novels while you have 2. Do what you can do and damn the rest. Why? Because then you will enjoy it more and want to keep on keeping on. If you keep comparing yourself to others, you’ll never get to where you want to be for you and you may get discouraged easier and quit. You want to write, so use the “just write” advice, but just write how and what works for you. That way you will truly do what needs to be done, which is, keep on keeping on. And that is the best advice I can give for anything in life. No matter the crap, you have to push through and do what is best for you.

I could keep on keeping on but I ranted enough. So I will end this with far less class and go out saying I hope you keep on keeping on like my little rhyming ass.


Enjoy life, forget the strife.
***

Thank you, Pat, 
Great advice. I'm still smiling!

You can follow Pat's humorous musings on his Blog It's Rhyme Time 

If you're curious about the December Challenge

here's a hint!


Please note that due to the holiday's early posting is fine. 
But our goal is to change all challenges to a one day posting schedule.

Sign Up on December 1st

Post no later than December 21st!

The Utopian Dreams Challenge is all about that secret desire, something you spend valuable time daydreaming about, even talking about, and secretly planning for, i.e. that vacation, dream job, or a move across country or to a new country that you've built up in your mind to be idealistic, perfect, – Utopian.   
                                
When we create the idyllic dream, we seldom see the what-if's, the downside, the unknown. Reality is rarely ideal. 

Want to know more? CLICK HERE!


Please help spread the word for our December challenges. Copy and paste the badges onto your blogs. Share via social media. Encourage your writer friends to take part.

Tweet One of These

A WEP Guest post by Pat Hatt – Writing Advice @DeniseCCovey & @YolandaRenee http://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com/2016/11/wepff-guest-post-writing-advice-from.html #WEPFF

A WEP Flash Fiction Challenge - the prompt is Utopian Dreams @DeniseCCovey & @YolandaRenee http://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com/2016/11/wepff-guest-post-writing-advice-from.html #WEPFF

What's your Utopian Dream? It comes true - is it a dream or a nightmare? @DeniseCCovey & @YolandaRenee http://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com/2016/11/wepff-guest-post-writing-advice-from.html #WEPFF




26 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your win Pat. Thanks for the writing advice. You sure are prolific! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Someone who knows how give advice. Just don't do it. My motto. Bet the cat taught you that. And he did it in rhyme time. Sublime.

    Congrats on winning the big prize in the WEP. You set a high bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat can sure teach or cause one to just go nuts.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on winning, Pat and thank you for your witty advice - my day started with a smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your win! Some excellent advice in there under the words, and so wittily put.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wit I can do as the words creep on through.

      Delete
  5. Next one sounds interesting. An idea popped in so will surely give it a spin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool. I woke up this morning with my story for the next challenge forming! Planned to start writing it at 6:30 AM but now it's 9:30 AM and not one word is on paper. Oops, got caught up in the time consuming blog surfing. Time to get to work! :)
      Congratulations! Great post - thanks a million!

      Delete
    2. Now I've got to start thinking about this one!

      Delete
    3. Blog hopping can sure consume time indeed.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your win. That's actually some pretty good advice! Keep writing. Like what you write. And don't compare yourself with others. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weirdest moment of the day? Pat not speaking in Rhymes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your win and this great article. Good advice. I agree that not one writing style fits all. I think it's a good idea to embrace differences and our own individuality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That we must embrace and not make it some kind of race.

      Delete
  9. Great advice, which is nice, after the win, a grin, and taking us all in. A bit of humor sweetens the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Pat, on the win, and the guest post. I guess they needed something to fill the space on the day not very many people were on the internet. Unless they were streaming football... Just teasing! You may my head spin with this one. Keep right on ranting cuz you can never write too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ranting I shall do any day. I could write too much if I started ranting about having nothing to say.

      Delete
  11. Always a blast with the Cat in the cast :) Ain't that the way it goes, always more paperwork after the paperwork is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, always something more seem to come ashore

      Delete
  12. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article.
    But should remark on some general things, the web site style is perfect,
    the articles is really great : D. Good job…
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete

Have temporarily enabled comments without moderation. If the spammers hit us, it'll be reinstated.